Welcome to the 5th installment of the Career Shmeer, where we provide links to great career articles from the past week (or so). Today’s shmeer also includes an update on the good that comes from doing volunteer work…plus a picture I recently took with someone famous who has probably made you laugh!
- 75% of recruiters and HR professionals research candidates online and 70% say they’ve rejected candidates due to their findings – Jeffrey Rosen/New York Times
- Entrepreneurs: Small Businesses Starting Despite Economic Challenges – Cyndia Zwahlen/Los Angeles Times
- What’s the Worth of a Kindergarten Teacher? – Amanda Fairbanks/GOOD
- Exploring For-Profit Colleges – Julia Love/Los Angeles Times
- Business Model Woes Trap Doctors and Impedes Healthcare – Kevin Pho/Kevin MD
- Would Eliminating Medical School Debt Produce More Primary Care Doctors? – Kevin Pho/Kevin MD
- Effective Sales & Marketing is All About the Customer – Dave Brock/Partners In Excellence
- Low Activity Levels Have a High Cost For Sales Careers – Anthony Iannarino/The Sales Blog
- Entrepreneurs: How To Write a Business Plan For Your Online Business – Lou Dubois/Inc.
- Brainstorming Other Income Opportunities For Doctors – Kevin Pho/Kevin MD
The Life of Specific Careers
- Online Community Managers – David Armano/Harvard Business Review
- PR Careers – Skills PR Pros Need – Gini Dietrich/The Fight Against Destructive Spin
- Green Careers: Follow the Green Money – Carol McClelland/Green Career Central
- TV Programming Careers – Meg James/Los Angeles Times
Fun Stuff For Your Shmeer
Normally in this space I include something wacky that went viral in the past week or so. This week I’d like to say how psyched I am that, despite the bad economy, we at Concern Foundation were able to raise over $1 million dollars for cancer research at our annual summer block party 3 weeks ago at the Paramount Studios backlot in Hollywood! 95% of everything we raise goes straight to top cancer research labs around the world as seed money for up-and-coming researchers. Ironic that I forgot to wear sunblock while volunteering outdoors for 2 days in the sun at a cancer event, but that’s how it goes sometimes! You can see my sunburn in this photo with my new friend Fred Willard!
Official article: Concern Foundation Block Party 2010 – Alesandra Dubin/BizBash
My interview with Concern President Derek Alpert: Non-Profit Management Careers
Posts You Might Like
- Get Outside For Some Adventure! (A very scenic video, I must say…)
- Interview with a Pro Rock Drummer about Music Careers
- How To Discover Your Strengths To Find A Career Fit
Did you read any career articles this week that really stood out? Share them below in the Comments! Have a great weekend.